As the cold winter weather approaches, it is important to make sure your vehicle is ready for the harsh conditions. To help you stay safe and reliable on the roads this season, we have put together a comprehensive Winter Maintenance Checklist of items that should be inspected before and during the winter months.
Winter Auto Maintenance Checklist
1. Battery – Make sure the battery has sufficient charge to start your engine and is securely fastened. Sufficiently charged battery should show a reading of at least 12.4 volts. It ensures that the engine starts without difficulty and that all accessories, such as headlights and windshield wipers, work properly.
2. Fluids – Inspect the engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid and windshield wiper fluid levels. If any of these is low or contaminated with dirt or debris, it should be replaced for your vehicle to work properly.
3. Tires – Cold weather affects tire pressure more than hot climates, so checking the tread depth and pressure should be a priority. The tires should have sufficient traction and overall condition for safe driving on slippery roads.
4. Lights – Make sure all exterior lights are working, including headlights, tail-lights, turn signals and fog lights. It is important to be seen and stay safe on the road.
5. Wipers – Replace worn-out windshield wipers for maximum visibility in rainy or snowy conditions. Make sure you use rubber blades that are designed for cold weather.
6. Heating & Cooling System – Have the heating system checked so you can keep the inside of the car warm and comfortable. Also, make sure that your cooling system is in good condition so you don't have to worry about overheating during the winter months.
7. Fuel System – Make sure your fuel filter and fuel injection systems are working properly for optimal performance in cold weather condition.
8. Antifreeze/Coolant – Check that the mixture is 50:50 antifreeze and water in order to protect against freezing temperatures. This will also help keep the engine temperature consistent and prevent corrosion in your vehicle.
If you need to get your vehicle ready for the winter, we invite you to bring your vehicle into our auto repair shop today! Our knowledgeable and experienced technicians will inspect and perform all necessary maintenance items on your car so that it stays reliable and safe throughout the season. Thank you for choosing Turner Auto Care as your automotive service provider.